Sunday, June 28, 2009

Tough Day

Total mileage: 495
Flat count: 2

I got up early to catch the ferry from Vesuvius, about six miles away. I missed it by less than five minutes and had to wait an hour for the next one. I decided that my back tire needed some air so I pumped it up and managed to break the valve stem, which is irrepairable. Luckily, I had a spare tube and put that in. Not a good start toy day. The ferry crossing was nice and I had a great seat.


It wa nice and sunny and warm so I slathered on the sunscreen and wore my tanktop. There is a coastal road that parallels the main highway that is nice riding but is a bit hilly. Closer to Nanaimo, I had to rejoin the main highway but it wasn't bad since there was a huge shoulder. They have nice signs for cyclists that make navigation a breeze going into bigger towns.



Everything was fine, heading into Naniamo. I took a break at my new favorite coffee shop: Seiously Coffee, which also serves great tea and has free wifi unlike Starbuck's that makes you buy some sort of card.

As I headed out of town, I saw some ominous clouds on the horizon and a really strong headwind picked up. Soon it was sprinkling and then raining to go with the fierce headwind. Yuck!! Eventually, the wind stopped but the rain kept on for hours.

I had been planning a 75 mile day but was tired enough by 68 miles that I stopped at a campground for the night and had a nice hot shower.

I'm currently eating raspberries at a fruit stand having already come 32 miles today. The weather is back to sunny and warm with a mild headwind. I have three more days, including today to get to Port Hardy to catch the ferry on the first. If I don't make it, I'll have to wait until the third for the next ferry north. I need to ride about 70 miles a day to make it. As long as I don't run into a bad headwind and eat and sleep well, I should be okay. My butt has made peace with the saddle and is actually pretty happy with life these days so what would have been excruciating a week ago, I don't even notice anymore.

-- Post From My iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment