Monday, June 29, 2009

Hog Heaven, Mustard Attack, and a Boat Ride

Total miles : 518

I had a long haul from Qualicum Bay to Campbell River yesterday. The road was mostly in forest though there were sections that ran right along the seashore. I had a mild headwind that started to pick up more and more so by the time I got to Campbell River, it was really unpleasant and demoralizing. I stopped at a few fruit stands for fresh berries and cherries. In one of the towns I passed through, there was a Harley Davidson rally so I had to take a photo of Sam in Hog Heaven.




I got in about 68 miles and was pretty beat when I got into Campbell River. As I was riding through town on the bike lane, a minivan pulled up next to me a squirted me with two big squirts of yellow mustard. My whole side was covered as well as my bike and panniers. I was so surprised that I didn't think to get their license plate. In all my years of biking, nothing like this has ever happened to me. I was more annoyed than anything else since I now had to clean up the mess.

I kept going for another mile or so until the campground where I washed my clothes and cleaned up poor Sam with some paper towels and a gardenhose. When I finally got to my campsite, I met my neighbors, two Swiss boys and Wayne, a fishing guide. Wayne said he was taking the boys out in his boat to photograph some wildlife and asked me if I wanted to go. I've learned from experience not to pass up offers like this so I told them I would go too. This means that I will take the ferry on the third not the first as I had originally planned. With this headwind, getting three days to ride to Port Hardy is a lot more reasonable, anyway.

This morning, I packed up for a day on a boat and went down to the dock with Wayne and the boys. The boat wasn't much to look at, but did fine on our trip across the channel.



We pulled up close to an island and laid a herring out for the bald eagles. Sure enough, when we backed away, the eagles came in for their free meal. I got some great photos as we repeated the herring manouver several times. We then went to a pub for beer and fish and chips for lunch. Wayne also leads tours from Telegraph Cove and gave me the inside scoop on where to go in Alert Bay to buy some art from local native carvers.

The plan is now to get a long day in tomorrow which will leave two shorter days to Port Hardy allowing me some time in Alert Bay. Riding from here on will be quite different with towns much farther apart and a lot less comfort like ice cream, bakeries, and fruit stands. The road will get more rugged and the miles per day will be more with no real options for cutting a day short. I'm feeling strong and am ready for the challenge. Posts will be much more sporadic depending on wifi availability so you'll see nothing for several days and then will get several posts.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. Lynn and Steve, send me an email about how your trip went along with photos. I'll give ya a call when I get the chance.
-- Post From My iPhone

5 comments:

  1. Hey Piroska,
    I have been following your trip with interest. I was interested in the 70 year old bike touring woman and fascinated by your treatise on bike butt conditions, especially butt leather. Summer here in Portland has been great. I go for daily evening walks on Powell Butte with a friend named Carol, her dog Raven and my dog Lucky. We see deer, kestrals and barn owls regularly and the occassional coyote. We are planning to watch fireworks from the Butte on Saturday night. Meanwhile, I have been doing yard and home projects. Caught the -.3 tide last week at Boiler Bay on the coast and saw gumboot chitons with a couple of friends. Thanks for the updates on your trip. Happy trails!
    ~carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Balogh!!!

    I am so sorry to hear about that mustard attack! At least you have another story to tell about rude kids, although you have enough O_O.

    (:

    - Theresa~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carolyn,
    Isn't Boiler Bay fun at low tide? I love looking at all the neat critters though I have a history of falling in some of those algae covered tide pools. I'm glad your summer is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Theresa,
    Yeah, the mustard was annoying, more so than my students. No one has of yet squirted condiments in my direction at Centennial! Are you still going to Germany? I hope so! Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ms. Balogh!!
    It's so cool to hear about your trip. Sorry about the mustard, that does sound crappy, yet so fun to see eagles:) I hope everything's well. I just got back from North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii a couple of days ago and it's interesting reading about your travels over the past weeks. I can't wait to keep reading:)
    Callia

    ReplyDelete