Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Born to Run...er Bike

Total mieage: 311

I'm currently in Quilcene doing laundry, always an interesting activity when travelling. First, I have to find the laundromat. Asking locals for directions is usually helpful and by the fourth version of, "turn at the second street and you can't miss it" I might actually find it. Then, one must navigate the treacherous coin and soap dispensing machinery. "Should I really risk a five dollar bill in this thing?" Next comes the excavation of every bit of clothing in my posession and the determination of which is the 'cleanest' that I will wear while everything else is being washed. Then there is the striptease, in a bathroom or if one is lacking, squeezed in behind one of the monster driers and hopefully out of view to change into the selected 'clean' clothes. Finally there is the feeding of coins, tokens, prepaid cards, etc into the machines. Anecdotal evidence suggests that cussing results in more successful operation.

The riding for the last few days has been okay but not great. I battled headwinds two days ago for a good part of the day. The scenery has been
mostly forest with a few nice views of the Hood Canal. My butt is really sore which makes long days in the saddle pretty excruciating. I managed to roll my left ankle quite badly, stepping off of a curb. It doesn't hurt but did swell up nicely for a good day or so. To rest it a bit, I rode a short 40 mile day yesterday and soaked it in the cold ocean a few times. The swelling has gone down almost completely so I think it's fine.

I stayed in Dosewalips campground last night and met some neat people. Jim and Doris drove me up a side road to show me Dose falls, a really pretty waterfall I would never have known about otherwise.

I've had lots of warnings about the big climb I had coming up this morning. The locals made it sound like the ditch was strewn with the bodies of unfortunate cyclists. Well, I didn't see a single body, in fact, this horror of a hill was pretty easy. There was a great downhill coming down and I had a blast singing along with Springsteen's Born to Run on my iPod as I barreled down the curves.

Well, the clothes are done so it's time to go.
-- Post From My iPhone

1 comment:

  1. "Anecdotal evidence suggests that cussing results in more successful operation." hahhahaa you dork.

    Wow.. that downhill sounds amazing :D ... now I just need to see you throw your hands up in the air as you go down one!

    I am doing tons of cleaning--my mother, an individual who is obsessed with that activity, took of 2 weeks worth of vacation to "put this house into order." (She does it everyday.)

    ReplyDelete