Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bike Paths Galore

Vancouver Island has great bike paths. I easily found the Galloping Goose Trail out of Victoria and followed it to the intersection with the Lochside Trail that took me out to Swartz Bay and the ferry to Salt Spring Island. I was amazed at the number of cyclists on the paths. I must have seen at least fifty! There are even traffic patterns at trail intersections with turn lanes.

I veered off the Lochside Trail and cut west to Butchart Gardens, which were spectacular. I especially liked the rose garden and that the plants they use are everyday garden center plants. There had these neat bamboo trellises for sweet peas which were just gorgeous. I will try something like that in my garden next spring.

The ferry embarcation at Swartz Bay was one of the biggest ones I've ever seen with toll booths and something like six or eight ferry docks. The ride across Salt Spring island was tougher than I anticipated with several steep hills. I camped outside Ganges in a not very inspiring campground but the grocery store was amazing with fresh island lettuce, fresh rolls, and a great deli counter.

-- Post From My iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment