Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lap of Luxury

Total mileage: 1000

What a ride today! I had a fierce headwind part of the way heading down to Stewart and Hyder but I didn't really care because the scenery was outstanding.



The road winds down through a mountain valley with snow-covered, steep, jagged peaks on both sides of the road. There is some climbing towards the beginning of the ride but then it's all downhill or flat.



By the time I got to Stewart, I was starving so I ate at the local bakery then headed over to Hyder, Alaska. In case I was lost on basically the only road in town, there was a sign pointing the way.



A few miles down the road, is the border and the very odd town of Hyder, Alaska. The pavement ends at the border and most of the buildings on the main street are boarded up. There are two bars in town, though.


The best seafood place I've ever eaten at is called the Seafood Express but is better known as 'The Bus'. The woman who runs the restaurant is married to a fisherman so the seafood is really fresh. She makes everything herself including the tarter sauce and batter. She does all the cooking in an old converted school bus and the patrons eat under a covered patio on the old bus seats.


I had the fish and chips with a beer. Oh man, was it good!


I'm taking the day off tomorrow and am celebrating 1000 miles by staying at the Sealaska motel so tonight and tomorrow night, I'm sleeping in a bed with my own bathroom a few steps away. (This photo was taken at 10:30 at night!)


I haven't slept in a bed since the hostel in Victoria (which doesn't really count because of the loud Japanese and German girls in my dorm room). The hot shower I had was amazing especially since I didn't have to feed quarters or Loonies (That's Canadian for a one dollar coin because it has a loon on it. The two dollar coin is called a Toonie.) into a machine to get hot water. So, I'm living the life of luxury and leasure for a day. I talked to a Dutch woman and aranged to get a ride up to see the Salmon Glacier tommorrow, which is way the heck up on a dirt road that I really don't feel like riding. Other than that, I'm planning on sleeping,eating, doing laundry, and maybe cranking back over to Stewart to buy groceries for the next leg of the Cassiar to Dease Lake.

--Post From My iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment