Monday, July 13, 2009

The Daily Grind

It was great getting a ride with Lidi and Darren, though it was disconcerting how quickly and easily the miles roll by when I have an engine doing my work for me.

Too quickly, we were back at Meziadin Junction and I was let out at the side of the road. It was a surprisingly hot day, around 90 degrees, so the ride to Bell II was a long, hot, and hard grind. There were seemingly endless hills that were pointless since I'd get to the top of one, roll down the other side and there would be the next hill and the next and the next. They were steep and long enough to really slow down and my average speed was down around 9 mph. Here is a hill I just climbed.



Then, there were the bugs. Now, I've spent a lot of time in places where the bugs are bad. Southern Oregon on the PCT during snow melt comes to mind where the mosquitoes were just vicious. So, it takes a lot for bugs to well, bug me.

These last two days, I've been dealing with black flies. They are everywhere and like to swarm around my mouth, nose, eyes, and even ears. They don't bite often, but when they do, they take a big chunk out of me and leave a welt that takes days to heal. Unfortunately, they can keep up with me when I'm climbing uphill and take advantage of the fact that I can't swat them to bite me on the butt. Ouch! There were so many of them in the last two days that it was hard to find a spot to stop and eat because I'd get attacked within a few minutes after stopping. Bug spray only slowed them down, it didn't stop them.

After two days of roller coaster hills and black flies, I got into camp last night at lake and was pleasantly surprised that there were only mosquitoes around. I'll take them anyday over those damn flies!

Today was a really short day because of how campgrounds work out. I can't make Dease Lake from Kinaskan Lake in one day so I broke it into two days staying at Tatogga Lake Resort today and hauling up to Dease Lake tomorrow.

The road is getting rougher and has switched from smooth asfalt to rougher chipseal. Chipseal is done by spraying hot oil or tar on the road and then spreading gravel on top. Sometimes they use big rollers to embed the gravel in the oil but sometimes they just let the cars crush it in. In addition to chipseal, they gave up on painting the road. Maybe they ran out of paint?


I stayed here at Tatogga Lake last year too and, like last year, am treating myself to a night in a rustic cabin on the lakeshore along with some great home cooked meals. The owners remembered me from last year and set me up in their nicest lakeshore cabin.



The views are great from the front porch.



Time for dinner. I heard there is beef and barley stew! -- Post From My iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Wow! your view from that front porch is making me envious D:. Yes, I remember epistasis! I couldn't stop laughing at that road sign with the "brakes adjusted?". Those fish and chips... ;aklfjl;adfjklafjsdl; I WANT SOME!! aw man. That sure looked like one of the most unique food places I've ever heard or seen.

    Update for me:

    So I think I am still going to Europe. England and France are the confirmed locations, and I am hoping for Italy. But, we are trying to travel as cheap as possible so my family is considering different travel options like going with the tour guides or just winging it with our relatives in England.

    Today: The water expander pressure tube thing decided to explode.. while I was home alone. The cool thing is, I learned how to turn off the water systems and where all the pretty stop valves are located.

    Soon: I am heading out to my yoga retreat (to Manzanita Coast) this Friday. I am very excited! I got some yoga clothes and am excited to "travel" without family or friends for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Piroska can really write. Very entertaining and inspiring. Its one thing to go on an epic adventure but another to make a good time out of it. I'm so glad you are having "fun". Excellent pictures, such as the tar lines. I got a nice taste of what its really like for you and I want to go!

    As for me, I just returned from a trip quite the opposite of yours. No wheels, just keels; three weeks in the Virgin Islands. Sail, snorkel, anchor, eat, sleep, repeat. Endless islands, beaches, reefs. My legs are weak and spindly.

    ReplyDelete