Saturday, July 4, 2009

Five Magic Words

Total mileage: 685

I am currently on the ferry heading to Prince Rupert, a thirteen hour ride. I had to get up at five to be at the dock at six, over an hour before departure. Luckily, there was a nice little campground a little over a mile away from the harbor. The ship is brand new and more luxurious than any ferry I've ever been on.



Sam got demoted from getting to ride on the top deck like he did on the Victoria ferry and is parked down on the car deck. I hope he isn't pissed enough to start screwing up his shifting again!


I splurged and bought a seat in the special reserve lounge with comfy reclining seats and a front row seat by the windows. The weather is just gorgeous and the views are fantastic. I saw some humpback whales a few hours ago.

Besides the first class lounge, I also splurged on a fancy breakfast in the dining room where they were serving an all you can eat buffet, five magical words that bring joy to a bicycle tourist's heart! I was starving by then, so I put a respectable dent in the buffet. They even had smoked salmon!



We get into Prince Rupert at around eleven tonight. Luckily, there is a campground a kilometer away from the ferry dock. Tomorrow, I'll look around town and then head east on the Yellowhead highway towards Terrace before turning north on the Nisga'a highway to intersect with the Cassiar. I'm really hoping the weather holds!

Wow! This ferry ride is beyond amazing! The views are absolutely phenomenal. You have to come ride this ferry!




-- Post From My iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Wow, those pictures look beautiful. And you got to see whales??? How lucky! Well I hope you're enjoying it:)
    Callia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Talking to you now at the Rancheria restaurant in Rancheria,YK! Nice meeting you, I saw you earlier as I passed on my motorcycle almost 40 miles back. Keep up the great work and look forward to seeing you again!! Please contact me when you can: rfanfant@hotmail.com

    Take care,
    -rob

    ReplyDelete