Monday, July 9, 2012

July 4th in Haines

I spent one more day in Sitka and went to visit the old Russian Bishop's House from the 1820s when Alaska still belonged to Russia.


The original bishop built this desk.


Here is the Orthodox chapel.


I went to an eagle sanctuary where they rehabilitate raptors.


This is the old orthodox cemetery; kinda creepy!


I took the ferry back to Juneau and stayed in the Mendenhall Campground next to the glacier again. I rode over to take a closer look at it.


This was the view ten paces from my campsite.


The next morning, I took one last ferry to Haines.


I was here three years ago but didn't see a whole lot due to all the smoke from forest fires in the north. I stayed at a nice oceanside campground.


I met Francois, a traveller from Toulouse, France. We hung out during the chilly evenings around a campfire and on the fourth. Thanks for the company, Francois! I hope our paths cross again soon.


I went to the hammer museum, which was much more interesting than one would think.





These are toast hammers from the 20s and 30s that were used to tap on a glass before offering a toast.


This one was cute.


And, out front.


I got a kick out of this local. Shorts and rubber boots. Only in SE Alaska.


I went out to enjoy Mojito Mondays at a restaurant in the old army fort. They were very tasty!


This is the row of what was the officers' quarters.


The fourth was classic Americana at its best. There was a parade and all sorts of races in the park.


This was a fire hose battle.


The Hammer Museum sponsored a hammer race to see who could hammer in a railroad spike the fastest using a special sledge hammer.


Three women participated including me. I got the thing pounded in in 58 seconds and got second place in the ladies category but beat quite a number of the men.


My strategy was to take much shorter, more accurate swings since I saw all the other contestants wasting energy taking huge swings and missing. My short quick taps set a good clanking rhythm and the crowd spontaneously started singing, 'I've Been Working on the Railroad' as I pounded away. Oh so very,very cool. I didn't win but I'm the only one who got a song.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Haines, Alaska

No comments:

Post a Comment