Monday, July 9, 2012

Back to The Yukon

I rode thirty miles to a campground after the fourth of July celebrations finished up. On the way out of town I met this master carver working on a totem pole.


The scenery was amazing and there was no traffic.


The view from camp.


This was amusing.


The next day I crossed the border into Canada and climbed the Chilkat Pass.





On the climb up, a car pulled over to tell me about a small shack on the other side of the pass that I could stay in for the night. Sure enough, a few miles down, there if was, the famous Green Shack.


I moved right in.








There was a fantastic wood stove and a nice sleeping platform. So cozy on a cold, windy day. This was the view.


The neighbors came by to see what was up.


The previous visitors left this message.


This was mine.


I left a nice pile of kindling for the next visitor.


From the Green Shack, I made my way to Haines Junction, home of the famous muffin sculpture.


Smoked king salmon and pasta for dinner. Yum!!


I build a fire every night to keep the mosquitoes away. Yukon campgrounds provide free firewood. They also have the cleanest outhouses I've ever seen.


There is a neat chapel in town built from an old World War Two Quonset hut.





It's finally sunny but still cold, around freezing at night. The east coast should send us some of their heat!

The midnight sun is amazing. I took this at 10 PM.


This is 11:30 PM.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment